Thursday, November 15, 2007

Tech is my Omega...Again

So this last saturday I was watching college football when I decided that I should use my own ticket and actually ATTEND a game. The longhorns were playing Texas Tech. So when I finished watching the Ags lose another game, I walked over to DKR.

I was sober, dressed in a burnt orange long sleave button up shirt with a Texas hat and aviator sunglasses boots and jeans. I was also alone because most of my law school friends had started to lock themselves in their study rooms for finals.

So I shuffled my way into the stadium and up to my seat. I've posted this before, but frat guys tend to look more intently at me because I kinda look like them and they think they should probably know me. I also get half smiles and glances from the sorority girls for the same reason. Too bad they don't know me. ANYWAY.

I make the climb to my half way decent seat and begin to watch the game. It then dawned on me....This was my last college game a student....Again....

My first last college game as a student came in 2004 against the one and only Texas Tech. This was also the only time A&M beat Tech in my 4 years at Texas A&M. The tailgate lasted for 6 hours before the game and we were 3sheets to the wind. I sat there after the game with my roomates and may friends at the time to soak it in. Our last college game. I knew I was probably headed to a law school in Houston that didn't have a Football team. (If you didn't know which one I went to, you do now). A deep breath was taken, a final look at the scoreboard through my drunken haze, and out of the stadium I went.

So my first year of law school I attended a school with no football team. Though I did attend many games that fall it is just not the same when you are not a student.

Then in the summer after my 1L year, I got the letter that would forever change my life. I got into UTLaw as a transfer. (I will before my blogging is done write an epic post about the transfer subject, but I've yet to find the time). So with the help of stilletos and levis I was quickly outfitted in Burnt Orange. I made a few UT games that year, but I didn't have the student season tickets.

This season I did have the student season tickets. So I went to a few, including the last Tech game, and this brings me back to my point.

So Im standing in DKR with the sun setting painting the sky burnt orange. The tower can just be seen on the right, the capitol on the left with the Frost Bank building a little behind that. The breeze was just slightly blowing the Texas Flag. Texas scored again, and I sang Texas Fight while throwing a Hook'Em.

As the next possession took place and the crowd quited down I laughed to myself. Not 3 years ago I was drunk off my ass wearing Maroon, yelling and whooping, with many friends that hoped to beat Texas Tech. Now, Im alone, sober, wearing Burnt Orange with the tower and Capitol in the background watching my last football game as a student hoping that we don't lose to Tech.

So, when the last whistle blew and UT lit the tower and sang The Eyes of Texas I walked home, with one more smile from the red headed sorority girl.

The last 3 years have been an interesting road.

It all ends with Tech.

2 Comments:

Blogger Exiled said...

No one can make getting drunk or anything involving Tech seem as poetic as you can.

3:39 PM  
Blogger BootStraps said...

LOL, Im touched.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home